We might be looking at the beginning of the end of print.
Naturally, people are bemoaning this. Here are some of the things I’ve heard so often, they’re becoming cliches:
- I love print books
- I’ll never get rid of my book collection
- I enjoy seeing a book on the shelf
- I like the tactile experience of paper
- Print books don’t run out of batteries
- Ebooks hurt my eyes
- Ereaders are fragile and too expensive
- I love the smell of paper books
Every time I read the word “I love the smell of paper books,” I get this image in my head of someone taking big huff on their copy of “The Correction” when no one is looking.